https://whenthestormwhisperstothewind.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 15, 2014

LIFE




LIFE.......

I was talking to my sister the other day. We both had had a really rough day. It was hard to lift each other up….not that we didn’t try….it was forced however, and sadness was all around us.

I faked a good mood and so did she….I felt bad because I am the big sister and I should have been able to help her. However the reality is that we both have so much going on that it was impossible to reach inside and pull out what was needed at that moment. 

We rang off saying bye and love you....(we both may have covered our tears in the quickness of the goodbye.)

The very next morning….

I received a lovely email from my sister.

I want to share it with you.
Even if it might be cliche.

 Some of you may have read this before but it made me happy inside, and refocused my sagging spirit! My sister said it helped her do the same!
**************************************

A Carrot, an Egg and a Cup of Coffee

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.



Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled 3 pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to a boil. In the first, she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.



In about twenty minutes, she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, “Tell me what you see".



"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.



Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked, “what does it mean, mother?"



Her mother explained that each of these objects has faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.



"Which are you?" she asked the daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?"



Think of this: Which am I? Am I a carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity, do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?



Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a hardship or trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?



Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and the trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?



May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.



The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of you past failures and heartaches.



When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.



May we all be COFFEE.

Thanks for listening!


20 comments:

  1. Ahh, I had read this before, but not for a long time. Thanks for reminding us to be the coffee out life, and the lives of others. I already know you are...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that vote of confidence!
      I try to look at the bright side of things! Sometimes I'm a stronger cup of coffee, other times weaker...hopefully I'm always coffee.

      Delete
  2. Hey Minelle...I have seen this before...thanks for the reminder, I needed it! Yes dear, you are definitely the coffee. Thanks for sharing...

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cat you are too kind! I know you try and look on the bright side as well!
      Glad the reminder helped!

      Delete
  3. Hi Minelle, what a lovely post, would that we could all be coffee
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Jan, true! If we weren't before, we should aspire to being that cup of coffee now!

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful Minelle, I hadn't seen it before. Thank you for sharing.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It seems like great advice to me!

      Delete
  5. Minelle, that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    I hope the mother and daughter turned the carrots and eggs into a delicious lunch.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Hermione!
      Hmmmm let's see, they could chop the carrots and put the hard cooked eggs into a bowl
      With mayonnaise, onions, peppers and......

      Delete
  6. What a lovely email to read. I haven't read it before. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    I am probably like the carrot.....

    Hugs
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are NOT like a carrot you silly woman!
      You always rise above and try to persevere!

      Delete
  7. Minelle,

    Wonderful. Thank you. Hadn't seen it before.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Minelle. I had not seen this before but I love it. Hope you and your sister see better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow is another day! Things always seem brighter the next morning don't they ?

      Delete
  9. That was lovely Minelle, and I had never read it before.

    I have had conversations like that before with both of my sisters as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those conversations are so worth the tears aren't they?

      Delete
  10. I have never read this before - it is a beautiful story and a nice reminder of striving to be coffee...:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like your thankfulness Thursday! Trying to focus on the positive is best for all.

      Delete