I was
thinking about friendship today. I know Bonnie has addressed this issue
regarding TTWD and friendships as well. I am so blest to have a great many
friends, in real life as well as throughout this community. In some ways our
anonymity here allows us to be more supportive and more honest in our
friendships. At times I feel liberated to be all of myself with the vagaries my
impulsivity is not allowed in RL. There are certain expectations that can tamp
down on our natural enthusiasm for life. In this blogland we can explore and
redefine what may seem contrary to the politically correct beliefs surrounding
us.
Sooooo…. I
decided to do a little reading and explore. I found this article, and thought
that much of what it says…speaks to the common interest, need and desire (whether
in thought or practice) that has brought many of us together.
A little
aside….When they talk about baser interests…lol… they cannot mean TTWD/DD-----
that is not base. It is a base need!
At the end
of this piece he asks how many friends do you have that are kenzoku, do you
have a few? I am so lucky and fortunate
to have a many.
So here goes......LOVE this Article
So here goes......LOVE this Article
What Makes A
True Friend
Why it takes
courage to be a good friend
Published on
February 4, 2010 by Alex Lickerman, M.D. in Happiness in this World
The Japanese
have a term, kenzoku, which translated literally means "family." The
connotation suggests a bond between people who've made a similar commitment and
who possibly therefore share a similar destiny. It implies the presence of the
deepest connection of friendship, of lives lived as comrades from the distant
past.
Many of us
have people in our lives with whom we feel the bond described by the word
kenzoku. They may be family members, a mother, a brother, a daughter, a cousin.
Or a friend from grammar school with whom we haven't talked in decades. Time
and distance do nothing to diminish the bond we have with these kinds of
friends.
The question
then arises: why do we have the kind of chemistry encapsulated by the word
kenzoku with only a few people we know and not scores of others? The closer we
look for the answer the more elusive it becomes. It may not in fact be possible
to know, but the characteristics that define a kenzoku relationship most
certainly are.
WHAT DRAWS
PEOPLE TOGETHER AS FRIENDS?
Common interests. This probably ties us closer to our friends
than many would like to admit. When our interests diverge and we can find
nothing to enjoy jointly, time spent together tends to rapidly diminish. Not
that we can't still care deeply about friends with whom we no longer share
common interests, but it's probably uncommon for such friends to interact on a
regular basis.
History.
Nothing ties people together, even people with little in common, than
having gone through the same difficult experience. As the sole glue to keep
friendships whole in the long run, however, it often dries, cracks, and
ultimately fails.
Common values. Though not necessarily
enough to create a friendship, if values are too divergent, it's difficult for
a friendship to thrive.
Equality. If one friend needs the support of the other on a consistent basis such that the person depended upon receives no benefit other than the opportunity to support and encourage, while the relationship may be significant and valuable, it can't be said to define a true friendship.
Equality. If one friend needs the support of the other on a consistent basis such that the person depended upon receives no benefit other than the opportunity to support and encourage, while the relationship may be significant and valuable, it can't be said to define a true friendship.
WHAT MAKES A
FRIEND WORTHY OF THE NAME?
A commitment to your happiness. A true
friend is consistently willing to put your happiness before your friendship.
It's said that "good advice grates on the ear," but a true friend
won't refrain from telling you something you don't want to hear, something that
may even risk fracturing the friendship, if hearing it lies in your best
interest. A true friend will not lack the mercy to correct you when you're
wrong. A true friend will confront you with your drinking problem as quickly as
inform you about a malignant-looking skin lesion on your back that you can't
see yourself.
Not asking you to place the friendship
before your principles. A true friend won't ask you to compromise your
principles in the name of your friendship or anything else. Ever.
A good influence. A true friend inspires
you to live up to your best potential, not to indulge your basest drives.
Of course,
we may have friends who fit all these criteria and still don't quite feel
kenzoku. There still seems to be an extra factor, an attraction similar to that
which draws people together romantically, that cements friends together
irrevocably, often immediately, for no reason either person can identify. But
when you find these people, these kenzoku, they're like priceless gems. They're
like finding home.
HOW TO
ATTRACT TRUE FRIENDS
This one is
easy, at least on paper: become a true friend yourself. One of my favorite
quotations comes from Gandhi: "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Be the friend you want to have. We all tend to attract people into our lives
whose character mirrors our own. You don't have to make yourself into what you
think others would find attractive. No matter what your areas of interest,
others share them somewhere. Simply make yourself a big target. Join social
clubs organized around activities you enjoy. Leverage the Internet to find
people of like mind. Take action.
As I thought
about it, there are four people in my life I consider kenzoku. How many do you?
If you
enjoyed this post, please feel free to explore Dr. Lickerman's home page,
Happiness in this World.
I want to say thank you to those of you here
I count as my Kenzoku. You all know who you
are since I speak with you regularly -or not- in email and some on the phone. I laugh with you, cry with you and... hopefully enjoy life with you.
And....Here is to making many more Kenzoku.
Thanks for coming round,
Minelle
One trait that typically separates my "friends" from my true friends is the ability to cook together. There is nothing that builds friendship more, at least for me, than cooking and sharing food together. I do have friends who aren't good kitchen buddies, but they tend to be different types of friendship.
ReplyDeleteOh, and joking about ttwd/DD is another great way to solidify a friendship. :)
Yes I agree with that statement. When friends or family cook together there is a comfort level that solidifies that feeling of acceptance with one another.
DeleteOf course teasing about TTWD and DD make it even better, especially when one person is always deserving their butt smacked. And that is not me!!
Oh, and a really good, precious friend is someone who will listen when you are hurt--even if he/she is the reason you are hurt. That's so difficult to do and such a rare quality.
DeleteOkay...what did I do? LOL
DeleteYou threatened to tell Mrs. Claus about...you know! Not very nice. Hmph.
DeleteWell....the...'You Know' needed telling!
DeleteYou know who is watching!
DeleteBoth of you settle down or Mrs Claus and the Scotsman are going to be notified that you both need spankings!
DeleteYikes Cat! Shhh. Unless you talk to Mrs. Clause and we get Ana taken care of!
DeleteThis was a timely read as I will be spending the upcoming weekend with one of my Kenzoku. I've often thought that it's our shared birth date that gives our friendship that je ne sais quoi:)
ReplyDeleteTess so funny, I was just over by you!
DeleteI am so happy you will be with your Kenzoku!
I am very close with a relative whose birthday is so close to mine. We are very close TOO! Kenzoku.
I think I used 'CLOSE'one time too many!
DeleteI do have friends in this category and I'm so grateful. The reason most of those are into TTWD is that they are the only one who know the true me. I much hide this part of my life from most people in my real life. Here is where I'm nearly completely opened. If people can put up with me here then there is nothing to hide.
ReplyDeleteI for one am lucky to put up with you my dear!!I am glad we have nothing to hide from our Kenzoku.
DeleteWell I was going to say something very similar to PK, but she no doubt said it better.
ReplyDelete"become a true friend" ...you know I have literally had people in my face to face friendships say to me " You are being so nice. What's your deal? " I'm sorry what??? I think that this community lends its writers and readers to real vulnerability. Because we all open up here and are ourselves, the question of " what's your deal" doesn't come up that often. We realize that we are ourselves here, so therefore others are too. No 'deal' to be had. How can friendships NOT blossom in such an environment.
I do have friendships that are Kenzoku like outside of blogland, but blogland friendships are like Kenzoku-Supersized !
Kenzoku-Supersized! That is a great way to look at it. Here our vulnerability is what allows that to happen.
DeleteI too have Kenzoko friends for which I am eternally grateful IRL and here. So very lucky to find each other in this whole wide world.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being one of them.
Well the feeling is mutual my dear friend!
DeleteI love this post! I think it supports what I believe about some of the friendships that we can have here in blogland.
ReplyDeleteHubby & I have been talking a lot about the validity of some of the relationships that develop here online verses out in the "real world". I think I am closer to some people here because I can be completely myself & plus we do have a thing or two in common, lol.
I do have 1 really amazing best girlfriend, but even she doesn't know me THIS well.
Being an introvert, I don't really let that many people in - I don't really desire it anyway. But I feel so totally blessed to find friendships here that are so heart to heart; and now I can't imagine not having them.
:) Cali
I think RL friends can be wonderful, however sometimes we hold each other to an unattainable standard. I am not sure why that is. I think your words 'heart to heart' is the reason we love friendships in blogland. We do not get the opportunity to be next to them so we talk 'with our hearts'.
DeleteWonderful post Minelle,
ReplyDeleteI am grateful to have friends in this category also. Most of them come from within this community because it is only here that I can share the real me and open up.
Hugs,
Roz
It is so liberating to be who we are without worrying and censoring ourselves. We open up to one another so we are able to explore in 'ourselves' and in turn grow.
DeleteSuch a beautiful post! May everyone find people in their lives that are "kenzuko" to them in which they may be themselves and discover true friendships. I am grateful for mine in my life. Best wishes! Hugs, Terps
ReplyDeleteIt would be such a sad state of affairs if we never had a Kenzuko friendship. Once you experience that...it becomes such a blessing doesn't it?
DeleteThis is really interesting because I am sure there is a similar Japanese word starting with Kenzo, but for the life of me I can't remember it at the moment. It's something to do with 'working together'.
ReplyDeleteI think it's difficult to put a label on a type of friendship. We all have the odd friend we've had since we were tiny, and then one or two school friends we have kept, and maybe a friend from college, and then some from when we had our kids, and some we met outside the school gates, and some from work. It goes on and on. But when it comes down to brass tacks, there are very few we can classify as 'real' friends - those who show us their souls.
Perhaps one of the important things about having friends from this community, is that we can say things to each other, but if anyone from outside has a go at us, we can all close in like a family in order to support each other.
To have an 'honest' friend is to have a friend worth their weight in gold. True friends are hard to find, and definitely worth keeping!
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Many hugs
Ami
True friends are hard to find, but once they are there...they better not go away!
DeleteIt is fascinating how many acquaintances we find but a truly close friend is someone we need and should cherish.
Thanks for sharing this Minelle...I am very lucky to have kenzoku friends both FTF and in blog land...thank you for being one of them.
ReplyDeleteNotice I don't say IRL because my blog land friends are just as much in my life as my FTF friends. ;)
Hugs and Blessings,
Cat
Oh I am happy to say the same to you!
Delete